SHIFT, Thunder Bay’s Young Professionals Network, promotes networking and collaboration among young people between 19-40 years from a variety of professions and backgrounds. The organization hosts diverse personal and professional development activities for young people to connect with mentors, encourage knowledge sharing, and build meaningful relationships in the community.
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT OFFICER
Full-time – 1-year contract (Paid Internship)
Start Date: October 13th, 2020
SHIFT: Thunder Bay’s Young Professionals Network is hiring a Business Development Officer Intern. The purpose of the Business Development Officer is to help SHIFT fulfill its vision of engaging young professionals in the community and bringing the under 40 demographic together to enhance professional and community development in Thunder Bay. The goal is to increase the reach of the organization throughout Thunder Bay and the surrounding area and provide the membership with opportunities to further their personal and professional skills through SHIFT. Through the growth of the SHIFT membership, we will ultimately increase the breadth of the skill, knowledge and resources available to our membership through networking, leadership opportunities and collaborative learning.
• Assist with Board of Directors co-ordination and monthly meeting preparation
• Assist with membership recruitment and maintenance
• Event planning and co-ordination will be done on a weekly basis
• Assist in the development of sponsorship packages, and developing presentations to target companies & organizations, and corporate memberships;
• Engage membership and stakeholders in data collection regarding SHIFT’s impacts on the community;
• Work with the Board of Directors focusing on membership development and growth;
• Assist with relationship building within the community with the aim to help further SHIFT’s growth and sustainability with membership;
• Assist with fundraising and event co-ordination in respect of SHIFT’s ongoing events, and particularly in respect of the annual Golf tournament, Wine Mixer, and SHIFT Talks Series
• Participate in connecting young professionals with SHIFT
• Perform market research to identify new membership and sponsorship opportunities and engage with the board of directors to establish strategies for pursuing those new opportunities
• Assist with relationship building within the community with the aim to help further SHIFT’s growth and sustainability with a membership
In addition, the Business Development Officer will manage the day to day operations of SHIFT by:
• Taking phone calls, managing emails, website, and SHIFT’s social media activities,
• Attending community events,
• And, various other office duties.
A recent graduate in the areas of communications, public relations, marketing, business, or similar background is sought for this position.
Successful candidates will have:
• Strong written and verbal communications skills
• The ability to plan and co-ordinate events is essential
• Strong presentation skills, able to disseminate important information to the public
• Excellent organization, planning, project and time management with the ability to work under pressure
• Experience of using social media, digital photography and video for marketing purposes
• Ability to build and manage relationships with contacts
• Event planning and co-ordination experience an asset
• Sensitivity to diverse cultures and able to address local community needs
• And, flexibility in hours. May be required to meet with individuals/groups outside normal business hours
How to Apply
• Applicants should send a resume and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position to email@example.com by 4:00PM on September 21st, 2020.
• While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
• Applicant must be a University or College graduate who has graduated within the last three years from an accredited college or university.
• Applicant must be a graduate of a post-secondary degree or diploma program.
• Must be the first employment in the applicant’s field of study.
• Applicant must not have been funded by the NOHFC internship program at any other time.
• Applicant must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
• A G2 license and use of personal vehicle is required.
This opportunity is proudly supported by the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation.
Option to work remotely due to COVID-19, a hybrid of on-site and at-home available. Our office is currently closed to the public.